Monday, October 14, 2013

10/14 Week in Review

Good Morning!

This week has been kind of crazy.  There's been a lot going on within my family, so I've been very busy with them.  In my 'down time' at home I've been canning and cooking up a storm.  Here is a picture of just SOME of my canning efforts.  I am sure there will be more to come.  



My mother, my niece and I went apple picking last weekend and I have about 30 lbs of apples to use up. However, in my tiny little apartment space is ever at a prime.  30 lbs of apples must be stored SOMEHOW. So, I have two large bowls overflowing with apples.  One is on my counter for grabbing and snacking.  One is in my fridge for long term storage.  Also, BOTH of my crisper drawers are STUFFED with apples.  

**Hi Nygel**

I also discovered a new food that I absolutely adore.  Delicata Squash.  It's super easy to prepare and you can even eat the skin!  If you like acorn squash and other fall/winter squash varieties... give Delicata a try.  

Roasted Delicata and Potatoes
I simply roasted one delicata squash with 4 red potatoes in a baking dish.  I tossed them with coconut oil, salt, pepper, and rosemary.  I baked at 375 degrees until tender (about 30 minutes).  So good. 

Eggs in Purgatory
To go with my roasted veggies, I made Eggs in Purgatory.  Dump one bottle of tomato sauce into an oven-safe skillet.  (I used my homemade spaghetti sauce and my cast-iron skillet)  Create little wells in the sauce, crack eggs into the wells and bake along with the veggies.  Keep an eye on the eggs and cook to your desired doneness. 

Such a delicious and filling meal
Here is my finished meal.  Super easy and SO GOOD!


I have also been a Pinterest fiend lately.  I found a pin that was way too easy NOT to try.  Essentially it was a low-fuss way to make homemade caramel.  All you need is a crock pot and a can of sweetened condensed milk.  
Can in Water Bath
Here is my can of sweetened condensed milk all covered with water and ready to go.  Turn your crock pot on low, put the lid on, and leave it for 8 hours.  (I did this overnight and it was in for about 10 hours -- it still worked wonderfully) After it's been cooked -- pull it out and refrigerate for AT LEAST 2 hours. 

Caramel
Here is the end result. A dippable, creamy, Dulche de Leche that is PERFECT for dipping apples. 

This was dinner one night.  Apples, Caramel dip, and cheddar cheese.  Again, so easy but SO GOOD!

Saturday Morning I got up early to go get a haircut.  (Don't judge me, this was 7:30 on a Saturday morning -- I normally don't see anything before 9am on saturdays)  ;)  I ended up not being able to get a haircut because of a scheduling issue.  The salon's customer service was ON IT.  I drove across the street to console myself with some starbucks and retail-therapy (Target style) and before I'd even parked my car they had called offering me a free haircut for my inconvenience.  Holla!


Retail Therapy in action.  That right there is Happiness in my cart.   Starburst Candy Corn, Hello Kitty Carving Kit, and a Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte.  HEAVEN!
(PS - I'm 28 and love Hello Kitty.  You're going to have to accept that)


I also picked up this fabulous Cynthia Rowley blanket from Home Goods this weekend.  It is super soft and fuzzy.  It mixes well with the colors in my bedroom (neutrals, whites, and beachy colors -- sea glass hues, and muted blues/greys)  Bella Approves.  

S&S, 
Shannon



No comments:

Post a Comment