Monday, October 28, 2013

10/28 Week(s) in Review

It's been a minute since I did a week in review so there's a lot here. :)


Cooler weather (to me) means one thing.   SOUP!!
This week I had a massive craving for Chili and cornbread.  My chili is packed full of veggies (as you can see in the picture) and is super filling.  The cornbread needed a little dressing-up so I mixed in some rosemary and black pepper.  The Owl is dried rosemary (I used a cookie cutter for the shape) and the branch is a sprig of boxwood basil.  So good. 



Cooler Weather also means NESTING.  

My bedroom has been a work in progress all summer.  I have been trying to re-do the theme and make it more beachy.  Not beachy in the 'sea life and fish everywhere' sort of way.  I prefer more muted blues, greens, and grays with natural accents.  I have a massive barnacle and a jar full of shells sitting around.  My bed, however, has just been 'meh'.  I have been searching for a quilt that doesn't completely offend my eyes but to no avail.  I did however find that striped (and SUPER FUZZY) blanket at Home Goods for $16.   It's Cynthia Rowley and looks fantastic.  The lighter blue ruffled blanket is from Meijer (Katie Brown Workshop line) a year or two ago.  I think it came together quite nicely.  What you can't see is the other layers of blankets and my electric blanket hiding on there.  It's actually QUITE warm and snuggly now.  EXCELLENT!


I have been trying to make the most of my 'harvest' and produce.  The 'fall harvest' picture is all the goodies I snatched off my balcony before the frost got them.   We have:: green tomatoes (they were fab in my chili), mint, and boxwood basil.   The jars are my very first attempt at sauerkraut coming along nicely.  :)  I get to test that tomorrow!




I have also been crafting and trying to make bath and beauty items "on the cheap".  Here are the bath salts and lip balm I made this week.  The bath salts are eucalyptus-mint scented with dried mint and lavender buds.  It will make for a fabulous bath when my sinuses start acting up.  The punk really enjoyed her bath in them too.  She was very amused that they turn the water a light turquoise shade. :)   The lip balm doesn't smell great but HOLY COW!  It moisturizes like whoa!  It is beeswax, coconut oil and olive oil.  I added a splash of peppermint and was afraid of overdoing it -- it doesn't even smell at all.  Oops!



My sisters, nieces and I all had a fantastic time the past two weekends soaking up all the fall activities.  We went to a haunted greenhouse and also a farm that has all manner of fall activities.  I think their favorite was the massive corn box.  (like a sand box, but full of feed corn)  It was kiddie paradise. 


My Mom, Punk, Arianne and Myself all went to a Pumpkin farm and got pumpkins to carve.  I must say they look fabulous.  Punk did the top right and bottom middle.  She also decided to carve her pinkie and ring fingers as well.  (No worries -- she is healing nicely and a lesson was learned -- Don't give the Punk a real knife, give her the pumpkin saw)  My bad!



Here is my Pumpkin carved with the help of my Hello Kitty pumpkin carving kit.  I freaking love it!



He had some birthday this week:::
Punk turned 8.
Bella turned 9 (or 10)
Nygel turned 8 (or 9)

Punk with her Birthday Starbucks.
(Shaken, Sweetened Passion Tea)

We had a Ppppp-Party at my house for her.  We had Pizza, Popcorn, Pudding, Pumpkin Cheesecake and Potter (Harry Potter) -- the next morning we had Pancakes with Pecan syrup.  :)

She has been ALL ABOUT Harry Potter recently.  She is reading the books and PLOWING through them -- about one a week.  I happen to have all the movies, so the game plan is:::  she finishes the book and we watch the move that weekend.  She likes to talk through it and tell me what's different.   
Whatevs. 



We then had a SURPRISE! party for her at her Mom's.  I was 'in' on the surprise and kept her occupied until her arrival.  She had NO IDEA!  It was fantastic.   MY present to her?  That purple guitar you see above (my mom and I bought it for her).  I also got her fish and glow in the dark pebbles for her aquarium.  She also got a notebook to write her songs in, her favorite chocolate bars, and some awesome knee high socks because I'm the best freaking aunt ever.   

My mom got her some nice boots from DSW.  My sisters got her some games (two of which were Harry Potter -- she may have squealed), a really pretty quilled butterfly, earbuds, press-on nails, a One Direction movie, and a Monster High Barbie.

I'd say the little Punk made out quite nicely. :)

She was convinced we weren't having a party at all... so when I was stalling before her big surprise, I asked if she had enjoyed her birthday weekend.  Her answer?  "Yes! I like my fish and my boots, but what I liked most of all was spending time with everyone"
*heart melted*



Bella's birthday was more low-key.  She got mutt meatballs, a sweater I crocheted for her, and lots of snuggles.  (I'm convinced the meatballs were a bigger hit than the snuggles)
Mean dogs. 
:)

S&S,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment