Thursday, October 10, 2013

October 2013 PopSugar Must Have Review


The PopSugar Must Have box is a curated box of must-have items from various categories.  Home, Fashion, Food, Fitness, etc.  I have been subscribed for almost a year now.  I enjoy the surprise of receiving my box of goodies in the mail. Here is what was sent this month:::



I'm not entirely sure of the theme.  It seemed a little all over the place.  

Included are:

Sadly, I actually CAN cook.  I flipped through the cookbook and while I do think there are some very worthwhile recipes it is just not a cookbook that speaks to me.  I will be gifting this to someone in my life.  I do like the simplicity of the recipes and I truly do think that even a "can't cook" will be able to follow along.

The Wet Brush ($28)
This is an identical shape and silhouette to my Conair Boar and Nylon Bristle Brush that was $5 at Walmart.   The bristles are different, however.  They are flexible and when I pulled it through my dry hair it actually hurt.  My standard brush doesn't hurt.  The flexible bristles seemed to get trapped in my tangles and hesitate for a second before brushing them out.   I will try it again tonight when I wash my hair.  Hopefully it's better in wet hair, otherwise this will be given to my niece.  

These bobby pins were actually kind of awkward to use at first.  I did like that they look a little dressier than your standard hairpin.  They look more like barrettes in your hair.  They are shaped to 'hug' your head and are very comfortable to wear.   I like this a lot more than I expected to.  Would I pay $12 for some bobby pins?  Probably not.  But they are a nice treat. 

Ok, so this bracelet is actually my favorite item from this box.  It is a delicate bracelet which is right up my alley as far as style goes.  It looks nice with my hasn't-left-my-arm-in-3-years silver link bracelet.  However, it's essentially braided thread with gold seed beads.   I think I may have made something similar in Girl Scout camp.  Do I like it?  Yes.  Do I love it?  Possibly.  Would I pay $45 for it?    Hells to the no!  On the plus side, 100% of the proceeds benefit Breast Cancer Connections.  I like that.  A bracelet with a mission.  Kudos. 

The nail polish in the bottle looks to be a deep chocolate brown color.  I was a little surprised when I swiped it across my nails to find that it looks more deep red.  It reminds me of almost dried blood.  You know, that weird reddish brown color?  Anywho.... it figured it would be O.K. to rock this during October -- I can totally play up the vampire-ish nails.    The topcoat is ah-mazing.  I was skeptical when I read that it dries your polish to a smudge-proof, high gloss shine in 5 minutes.  You betta believe I timed that.  It works!  It really works!

NYX Liquid Liner from Collection Noir ($6) and NYX Smokey Shadow Palette ($7)
Initially I was a little perturbed that a 'curated box' sent out such a low-end makeup item.  Then I thought about it.  In this box I am used to receiving one makeup item that can sometimes retail for $20-$30.  Such is the case with the Buxom Sculpted Mascara ($19) I looooved from a previous box.  Seriously, it's my baby.  Will I buy a $19 mascara again.  I don't know.  (I'm cheap ya'll)  Possibly, because I love it so much...but I would have to justify it.  The NYX?  I would repurchase.  I don't think they're outrageously priced.  Also, when I swatched them on my arm,  the eyeshadows are highly pigmented.  That's awesome!  Also, the eyeliner took a decent deal of scrubbing to get off.  Hi, not gonna run on me.  This may be a win for me!

Essentially, this is a fancy Rice Krispie treat.  I am a vegetarian so marshmallow is a no-go.  It contains gelatin which is made from boiling tendons, bones, and other rejects from the meat packing plant.  Mmm... jello.  The snack that smiles back.  (wait, is it smiling or grimacing, but I digress....)  I will say I looked at it with a wary eye.  It appears to be more marshmallow than crisp rice.  That's not how I liked my cereal treats, when I ate them.  I wanted it to be CRISPY!  I don't know that this would be a win for me -- if I could/would eat it.  We'll see what the niece thinks.

StitchFix $20 Gift Card ($20) 
Stitch Fix appears to be a service where a stylist will send you articles of clothing and/or accessories to try on in the comfort of your own home.  You decide what you keep (and subsequently pay for) and send the rest back.  I love the idea of this service as I seriously hyperventilate just THINKING about having to go clothes shopping.  However, at this time, Stitch Fix doesn't work with the fatties.  Ok, that's not exactly what they said.  They only work with up to a size 14.  However, I lied.  *gasp*.  So we'll see what the quality of the clothing is... soon. *cue evil laugh*

Total Value: $181.94
What I paid: $35 plus tax. 

Final thoughts:::

I have to say.  After PopSugar dealing with sizing issues from previous month's boxes and then asking all subscribers to fill out questionnaires relating to sizing and likes/dislikes, I am shocked that they would ONCE AGAIN send out an item that excludes us fat girls.   I get it... I'm fat because of my own choices.  However, I don't feel that a box I subscribe and pay for should rub that in my face.  It is very disheartening and quite honestly a bad business practice to continuously insult your consumers.  Also, we were just informed that they will be raising their prices to $40/month plus tax starting in November.  I don't know that I will continue to stay with PopSugar.  I will be doing some thinking about handing money over to a company that has no regards for their customer's wishes.  

I honestly wish this box had been more fall focused.  I am part of a message board where we speculate on items that we would like to see in the box each month.  The guesses were all pretty similar:::
A blanket
A book
A movie
A candle
something pumpkin spice flavored
warm cozy socks
mittens

I don't think this box even begins to touch on what seems to be a favorite season for so many.   I think this was a huge miss for PopSugar.  I do like some items from the box.  I will make use of everything, but I will seriously be considering in the coming days if I wish to continue as a subscriber. 

What do you think?

If you are a current subscriber, was this box a win or loss for you?

If you aren't a current subscriber, would you love or hate receiving this box?

Let me know in the comments below.

S&S, 
Shannon

5 comments:

  1. I actually loved everything in this box, much better than last months. I wore the NYX today and it stayed on for my entire 12 hour shift. The cookbook is for people like me, lol. I have wanted that brush, I have fine tangly hair, it worked very well. Loved trying the Julep, love the clips, the bracelet. It was the first box that I was super happy with. I bought the fall must have and that was meh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree with the Fall Luxury Edition box. I didn't purchase it, but honestly I wasn't really impressed with what they sent out. I feel like they need to revamp their idea of 'fall' :)

      I'm glad this box was so spot on for you! I kind of feel like with the past two boxes they've missed the mark with me... but all items have been (or will be) used. So I can't really complain. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great review. I read so many pathetic blogs, but this one was great! I haven't received my box yet, but I'm pretty excited. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh. You just made my day. Thank you so much. :)

      Delete
    2. Come back and let me know what you think when you've received your box. <3

      Delete